Checklist to Sort and Declutter Each Area of the Home
Before using this checklist to sort and declutter each area of the home, it’s a good idea to set up a simple plan for decluttering and deciding how to decide what to keep, what to donate, what to sell, and what to discard! Use this checklist to sort and declutter each area of the home.
Declutter each area of the home
How to decide what to keep and what to scrap or donate
Use this simple list to decide how to declutter each area of the home:
1. Have I used this in the last year?
If your answer is no, it’s time to toss.
2. If I were shopping right now, would I buy this?
If the current you wouldn’t buy this item now, why would you even keep it?
3. Is the only thing that’s keeping me from disposing of this item that I don’t want to waste money on?
Think of it this way: you wasted money when you bought an item you don’t use.
4. Am I holding on to this for sentimental value?
Be strict and keep only a few of the items in a small memorabilia box. Then take a photo of items you are throwing away so you can keep them forever.
5. Do I have a similar item that serves the same purpose?
If yes, then get rid of one of them.
6. Do I have a realistic plan to use this?
Remember, don’t lie to yourself about how perfect an item would be for Halloween. Make sure you have a concrete plan to use the item, and if you don’t use it within the time frame you set for yourself to use it, then toss it.
7. Does it fit me or my living space?
You may love it, but do you have space for the item or does it even suit you now? Think hard on what to keep — your space is sacred.
8. Am I holding on to the broken item to fix in the future? Fix it now, or if you don’t get around to fixing it in the next two weeks, then toss it.
Jump on over to my blogging page to view more helpful tips on decluttering and organizing RYouReadytoOrganize Blog!